With the school year budding and extracurricular activities filling our calendars, this is the time of year that we load up our freezers with ready-to-go main courses. By prepping meat for dinner and bulking up on breakfast items we can ensure healthy, homemade meals in less time. P.S. Don’t forget to take it out of the freezer the night before you want to eat it.
Turn dinner into “fast food” by using these tips for the freezer:
- brown ground beef ahead of time for spaghetti or lasagna
- brown ground beef and add taco seasoning to make taco night a snap
- before freezing, toss pork chops in a zip-top bag along with any of a variety of marinades
- marinate a london broil and wrap it up so that it is full of flavor
- put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a zip-top bag with marinade or barbecue sauce before freezing
- cut a large boneless pork loin into family-sized portions and freeze individually
Impress your kiddos with a “weekend breakfast” on a school day by using these tips:
- make waffles in bulk and freeze
- make pancakes in bulk and freeze
- make muffins in bulk and freeze
- make quick breads or coffee cakes in bulk and freeze Some families invest in vacuum-sealing systems for their freezer favorites, but we have not found it to be necessary. With each of us feeding a family of six, it doesn’t take long to cycle through our prepped items, not giving them a chance to suffer any freezer burn. We utilize zip-top freezer bags, freezer paper, and aluminum foil.
Here’s to getting organized!
Make your freezer even MORE organized with this idea.